1. ACETONE(in cologne, dishwashing liquid/detergent, nail enamel remover)
On EPA, RCRA, CERCLA hazardous waste lists. "Inhalation can cause dryness of the mouth and throat; dizziness; nausea; incoordination; slurred speech; drowsiness; and in severe exposures, coma" "Acts primarily as a CNS - central nervous system depressant."
2. BENZALDEHYDE(in perfume, cologne, hairspray, laundry bleach, deoderants, detergent, vaseline lotion, shaving cream, shampoo, bar soap, dishwasher detergent).
Narcotic. Sensitizer. "Local anesthestic, CNS depressant,"..."irratation to the mouth, throat, eyes, skin, lungs and GI tract, causes nausea and abdominal pain." "May cause kidney damage.""Do not use with contact lenses."
3. BENZYL ACETATE(in: perfume, cologne, shampoo, fabric softener, stickup air freshener, dishwashing liquid and detergent, soap, hairspray, bleach, after shave, deoderants)
Carcinogenic(pancreatic cancer) "From vapors: irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough." "In mice: Hyperanemia of the lungs." "Can be absorbed through the skin causing systemic effects." "Do not flush to sewer."
4. BENZYL ALCOHOL (in perfume, cologne, soap, shampoo, nail enamel remover, air freshener, laundry bleach and detergent, vaseline lotion, deoderants, fabric softener)
"irritating to upper respiratory tract" ..."headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory failure."
5. CAMPHOR (in perfume, shaving cream, nail enamel, fabric softener, dishwasher detergent, nail color, stick-up air freshener)
"local irritant and CNS stimulant" ..."readily absorbed through body tissues" ...."irritation of eyes, nose throat" .... dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions" "Avoid inhalation of vapors."
6. ETHANOL (in perfume, hairspray, shampoo, fabric softener, dishwashing liquid and detergent, laundry detergent, shaving cream, soap, vaseline lotion, air fresheners, nail color and remover, paint and varnish remover)
On EPA hazardous waste list; symptoms:..."fatigue, irritating to the eyes and upper respiratory tract even in low concentrations..." "Inhalation of ethanol vapors can have effects similar to those characteristics of indigestion. These include an initial stimulatory effect followed by drowsiness, impaired vision, ataxia, stupor..." Causes CNS disorder.
7. ETHYL ACETATE (in: after shave, cologne, perfume, shampoo, nail color, nail enamel remover, fabric softener, dishwashing liquid)
Narcotic. On EPA Hardous Waste list; "...irritating to eyes and respiratory tract" ..."may cause headache and narcosis(stupor)... "defatting effect on skin and may cause drying and cracking" ..."may cause anemia with leukosystis and damage to liver and kidneys" "Wash thoroughly after handling."
Return to Home
Last Updated Sept 5, 2001 by Karen Saxton